Thursday, October 11, 2012

LWOC: Making Memories with Amazing Friends

Where did the semester go?  This week is the last week of classes.  I feel like I was just sitting in my first Otago class trying to figure out how the grading system worked here and now I only have one more class left!  I am definitely not okay with where the time went!  But anyway, enough stressing about that as I make the most of the time I have left here, which is still a little over two months!

It’s been a little bit longer since my last post than usual, but I have been pretty busy lately.  I don’t think last week was too exciting.  Tuesday, after class, I hung out with Werner for a while at my flat and then went to get ice cream with my mentor!  That night I watched the original Footloose with Rachel and her flatmates.  Most of you know that this is one of my favorite movies, but usually when I show it to people they think it’s a little weird.  But, Rachel loved it, which of course made me super happy!  We also booked a flight that night for after exams!
Wednesday was a typical day.  I had one class because my tutorial and my other lecture were canceled for the day!  I then had $3 lunch at clubs and societies on campus.  That night I watched the second Lord of the Rings with scenes filmed at the locations we visited last week!  It was cool to see the lake and where the buildings were in real life and compare it to the film. 
Thursday I skyped Kelsey!!! Yay!  It was so great to see her and catch up.  I also had my last God and Ethics lecture because my professor canceled class for the last week.  I think I have had more classes canceled here in the past two weeks than I ever had at UNC!  But I am a little sad that class is over because it was super interesting, the professor was amazing, and I learned so much!  That evening we went over to Anna’s flat and hung out for a while and then went to town.

Friday was was a pretty lazy day because we went to bed super late the night before.  In the afternoon, I visited a Maori marae through an organizied afternoon trip for international students .  It is a communal and sacred meeting place for the Maori.  Once there we had to be invited onto the land, take off our shoes before we entered, and introduce ourselves by touching noses.  The women sat in the back, behind the males.  Guests also must designate one male Maori speaker (somebody who is in the language class now spoke for us) who introduces the group and then sings a song that pertains to our culture.  After this introduction, they provided afternoon tea and explained the history of their ancestors and the marae.  It was very interesting and a great cultural experiemce!

 
Saturday we went to the Farmer’s Market, like we do any Saturday we are in town.  I love it so much and I think I am going to have to find some people to go to the one in Carrboro with when I get back!  After the market, it was a little rainy and very windy outside so we went to the gym and then just shopped around on George Street for a while.  That night, Erin, Rachel, and I made lamb stew.  We figured we should actually try some lamb since it is the main industry in New Zealand, so we found a super easy recipe for stew.  The last time I had lamb was probably about ten years ago and I remember not liking it, but I absolutely loved it this time.  It was an Irish stew with lamb, potatoes, carrots, and beer (terrible picture below).  When I first arrived here, I was nervous about cooking for myself and other people, but I have actually really come to like cooking and experimenting!  And everybody seems to like what I cook J  The stew that night was very filling and afterwards I had some friends over to hang out.  We were being so goofy and I laughed so hard.  And eventually we went to town for a little while!
 

Sunday we woke up to a bright blue sky and decided to take advantage of it.  So we ran over to Wynton’s to borrow his (American) football and then caught a bus headed to St. Clair Beach.  I was wearing jeans, but it was so nice and warm!  We took a nice walk along the beach, breathed in the warm air, buried our toes in the sand, and laughed and shared stories.  We found a nice warm sand dune to lounge around on and then we passed around the football for a while.  It was a perfect day J  After the sun began to set and the temperature started dropping, we walked back to the beachfront shops, sipped on a cup of coffee, and then grabbed the bus back to the university.  Once we got back, Erin and I returned a jacket that some random guy had given her on the street the night before.  She looked cold apparently, so he insisted she take his jacket to town.  Afterwards, we went over to Wynton’s to return his football and hang out for a while.  And he even gave us some of the shrimp he had made.



Monday, I mailed in my absentee ballot, which was super exciting.  It’s my first time voting in a presidential election!

This week, we also celebrated LWOC!  At UNC, the last day of classes (LDOC) is always a crazy day filled with silliness and hanging out with friends before everybody buckles down before exams.  So we decided it would be a great idea to have LWOC (last week of classes) and make the whole week a big celebration.  We also know that once people start exams and begin to travel/go home, we will never be together like we have been over the semester, so we wanted as much fun packed into one week that we could get!  Monday night I went to Indian Spice for a BYO with Rachel, Erin, Scott, Katie, Anna, Emma, and Nicole.  The curry was great, but the friendship and laughter was even better.  After dinner, we went to The Bog for trivia night and met up with Marvin, Wynton, and Chris there too.  This had been something we had wanted to do all semester, but it just never happened, so we finally made ourselves go!  Our team name:  Quiz in my pants.  And we did not lose!  But we may have come in second to last.  In our defense, however, a lot of the questions were related to random NZ facts that we would have had no way of knowing!  I mean, they were asking us to identify NZ chocolate bars and all of their Olympic athlete flag bearers.  But we made up some pretty funny answers for the questions we didn’t know.  And I think the team that came in last was a group of internationals, so at least we have learned more than them in our time here!  That night, Wynton and Erin came back to my flat and we hung out for a while. 
Tuesday, I had my last Urban Geography class.  It was kind of boring because we just went over exam preparation, but helpful too.  After class, I had coffee with Werner at the Otago Museum.  Our coffee dates are always so great!  That night I made chicken pie and potatoes for my flat and then we went to The Bog again for Open Mic Night.  This time it was only Marvin, Erin, Anna, and Liz. 
And finally yesterday.  I did not have any classes, because, like I said, professors really like to cancel classes during the last week.  They say they do it to give us more time to study for exams, which is a really ironic concept to me anyway.  I am used to having five exams within a week, with more than one in a day even.  It’s a week where I don’t leave the library, live off of coffee, stay up to unheard of hours, and am not ashamed of wearing sweatpants every day.  Well, here it’s the exact opposite.  The exam period lasts a whole month.  Meaning I have only three finals in a month.  What in the world?  I don’t even know what to do with myself.  My first final is not even until Oct 24!  Kiwis seem to be stressing over them (more understandable since I am just on pass/fail credit), but luckily I am still relaxed!  I won’t even be in Dunedin for the next seven days!  I won’t tell you what I am doing now, but it should be a very unique and exciting experience!  Anyway, so yesterday I went to the final mentor get-together, where we were fed pizza and honored all of the mentors.  Mine has been so great!  After dinner, we went over to Anna’s flat and hung out and then we all came back to my flat and hung out with Sophie, Bob, and some of their friends.  We also went to the last Pint Night of the semester at the campus bar called Refuel and then met up with Wynton and Marvin at The Cook for a little silly dancing!
And this morning, we walked up the George Street for brunch because Erin and I had a 2 for 1 coupon.  Yay for saving money!  And now I am just about to head to my last class at Otago.  I am not sure I am entirely okay with that!  Okay, enough nostalgic moments.  Hope everybody in Boone is not having too much trouble with the water!  Miss everybody J Cheers!            

No comments:

Post a Comment