Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I'm a Hopeless Wanderer

So excited about the new Mumford and Sons album that just came out, so I named this blog post after one of my favorite songs.  Plus, the past couple times we have hired a car, the vehicle lacked an ipod jack and only came equipped with a Japanese radio system, and this was the only CD that we had…so naturally we have listened to it over a million times!  But, before I get ahead of myself…

I had my first exam last Wednesday and it was pretty easy and I felt good about it so I was happy to have one down.  The next two days, I studied/pretended to study with people in the library and took my second exam on Saturday afternoon.  Annoying to have a Saturday exam, but I hung out with Werner beforehand and had my first teza (iced tea sort of thing, but nothing like sweet tea) and after my exam, I went to a BYO at Indian Spice and then hung out with friends that night, so it ended up being a good day!

Sunday, Erin and I went to George Street for a sushi lunch date and then we relaxed in the Botanical Gardens lying in the grass and soaking up the warm sun!  Werner met up with us later and taught us how to properly throw a rugby ball so we tossed that around for a while.  It’s a lot easier to throw than the football!  Afterwards, I went to the gym and then went over to Liz’s for a girl’s night complete with endless episodes of Gilmore Girls, pizza, and laughter!

And Monday, we set off on another study break trip!  Werner and I picked up the rental car and tent and then we set off!  Poor Werner was the only guy, as Kelly, Erin, and Rachel were with us as well!  Our first stop after endless Mumford: Lake Tekapo.  And after numerous attempts to properly pronounce this place, I finally have it down!  The weather was absolutely gorgeous without a cloud in the sky; and wearing a flannel shirt and chacos never felt so good!  There is not much in the town except for the lake so we headed down there and hung out on the rocks.  Maybe it was just the perfect weather and setting, but Lake Tekapo is definitely high up on my list of favorite places!  The snow covered mountains that surrounded the lake were stunning and so mesmerizing!  We spent hours skipping rocks/teaching people to skip rocks and splashing our feet around in the water.  There is also a beautiful small historic church in front of the lake that we visited.  I decided that if I were to ever get married in NZ (although the chances of that are very slim so don’t worry Mom and Dad), I would hold the ceremony in that church! 

Soon we found of stomachs growling and drove down the road to find some food, but I guess in a small tourist town they can make everything twice as expensive, so we ended up with pre-made sandwiches from a convenient store, but we were content eating beside the lake.  After dinner, we headed to the campground to set up our tent.  The rates were a little pricey since they were per person, so we may have only actually checked in two people, but it worked out fine!

After setting up the tent, we hopped back in the car towards the lake to watch the sunset…which was perfect!  There was also a full moon that night, which was amazing to see.  Unfortunately, my camera is not capable of properly capturing any of this!  But here are a few pictures!  Once it was dark, we headed to the town tavern for some water and while there, made a list of everything we need to do/accomplish before leaving…which is a lot!  So I am going to be super busy my last week or so here!  But I still have another month and a half before I leave J
 
 

The next morning, we woke up at 5:45 to watch the sunrise.  We probably did not need to wake up quite so early since we had to wait for it to come over the mountains, but the extra time gave us a chance to drive down to the perfect viewing spot by the lake.  The sunrise was not full of colors, but the picture painted of the sun casted upon the mountains and green hills was completely worth the little sleep.  Once back to the campsite, we packed up, grabbed some desperately needed coffee, and after an embarrassing moment when asking for directions (just me being stupid since, as most of you know, I lack any sort of internal navigation system), we hit the road toward Mount Cook (Aoraki).  It was about an hour drive, but the views of Lake Pukaki on the way kept us glued to the car windows! 

 
Once we arrived at Mount Cook Village, we stopped at DOC (department of conservation) to ask them the best hikes in the area.  We had initially planned to actually tramp in the area into a hut a couple weeks ago, but that trip was canceled due to avalanche danger and the danger was still severe, so we just decided to go see the area.  But, we ended up hiking the Hooker Valley Track, which was the perfect choice for another stunningly beautiful day!  I was super excited to be hiking in shorts and a t-shirt!  We set off around noon with a view of snowy mountains surrounding us and a pale blue river running along the trail.  We took a quick detour to see Freda’s rock and monument.  She was the first woman to hike Mount Cook in the early 1900’s…and she did it in a skirt!  So legit!  I declared her my hero for the trip J  We even witnessed/heard a few avalanches in the mountains high above us. 


The hike was a perfect meander that was very pleasant and not too strenuous.  It took us about an hour or so to reach our destination: a beautiful lake with Mount Cook, the tallest mountain in NZ, rising behind it.  We snagged a giant rock to hang out on and eat our packed lunch.  We spent an hour or so soaking in the sun and exploring the area a little.  There were even a few mini “icebergs” in the water, which we surprisingly entertaining to watch change and break apart.  We really lucked up with the weather, as we were able to see the very top of Mount Cook!  One of my friends who previously visited it was unable to see more than a fifth of the mountain.  The whole mountain, especially the top peak, looked exactly like the mountain in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”  Eventually we reluctantly headed back to the car, and only then, did we realize that we were all beginning to turn a little pink/red (some more than others) from the sun.   We had not seen weather like this and had completely forgotten sunscreen.  NZ also receives more rays due to the ozone hole over the country, so my pale skin was certainly not ready for that!  But we all survived!


After the hike, we regrouped and drove down the road a few minutes to the blue lakes (which were actually green?) and then walked up a short path to an overview of a Glacial lake and the Tasman Glacier.  Afterwards, we hit the road toward Omarama.  Once to town, we drove out to the Clay Cliffs.  And the instant I saw them, I had to remind myself I was in New Zealand.  They are very reminiscent of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah!  But very unique and interesting nonetheless.  So once we explored the cliffs, we hopped in the car and I drove us to Omaru, where we stopped at a KFC to eat dinner.  But basically, we just took all of our leftover lunch food inside and only a couple people bought anything.  They were probably not too happy with us, but oh well!  After we were full, we stopped to buy some aloe for our sunburns, and after a minor explosion when opening the bottle in the car, we set off for Dunedin.  Once back, I dropped everybody off and while getting ready for bed, locked myself out of my room.  Being too lazy to call Campus Watch that evening, I walked over to Erin’s and slept at her place because we were planning on waking up early the next day anyway.
 


So the next morning, out alarm went off at 5:15am!  Yikes!  But, it was totally worth the effort to get up and see one of the most beautiful sunrises (two in a row)!  We took the car up to the top of Mount Cargill and watched the sun rise above the ocean and Peninsula.  Absolutely gorgeous!  We also took pictures by the Dunedin city sign and then headed back to our flats to sleep for a couple more hours.  But of course I was still locked out, so I called Campus Watch and a guy came to let me in, but he grabbed the wrong set of keys and so he had to go back.  And he woke up all my flatmates with his super loud radio at 7am!  But once into my room, I took a nap and then returned the car and tent with Werner later that afternoon. 

And yesterday was also Halloween!  So we dressed up as the plastics from Mean Girls (because it was cheap and easy) and went to a small party at a friend’s house!

Happy Halloween everyone!  Sad I’m missing Franklin Street Halloween festivities, but I hope to see pictures soon!  Have fun J

1 comment:

  1. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying your blog. It must be a dream adventure. Can't wait until you come back so we can have lunch and catch up.

    ReplyDelete