Sunday, October 21, 2012

Organic Living: Yummy Food and Great Company

Yay for a post that is on time this week!  Unfortunately that mans that I am procrastinating from studying for exams…go figure right? 

The end to last week was great!  I enjoyed a wonderful dinner with Werner at unicol Friday evening and then packed up my bags for a great adventure:  WWOOFing.

WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) is an international organization that links volunteers to organic farmers around the world.  Basically, you live on an organic farm, from anywhere between a week to even a year, and work in exchange for food and accommodation.  I had never heard of this before until I arrived in NZ, and since I am interested in sustainability and organic foods, I decided that it would be a great and very unique experience since I had plenty of time to kill before my first exam.  Plus, New Zealand is said to be the best place to WWOOF in the world!  So one of my friends from my urban geography class ,named Celine, and I decided to wwoof together!  That way we could study for our exam too (bet you can guess how well that studying actually went)!  So we found a great farm and signed up!

Saturday morning we woke up at 6am to meet our host at the Dunedin Farmer’s market!  It was pouring rain and not the most pleasant 20 minute walk carrying all of our bags, but our excitement kept us in good spirits.  I also killed my second umbrella that morning.  Not even going to attempt to purchase another one.  Anyway, all we knew was our host’s name, Shaun, and that he had a big white van.  Luckily it did not take us too long to find him, as he spotted us looking a little lost and greeted us with a big smile.  And then we went right to work helping him unpack his produce and set up the stand.  He is famous is NZ for his orange carrots, but he grows a large variety of veggies, including beets, leeks, parsnips, white carrots, chard, all kinds of lettuce, purple sprouting broccoli, garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, spinach, and even more that I can’t remember right now.  He stand is pretty popular so we aided in sales the rest of the time there and, in between customers, learned a lot about his organic farm and the veggies he grows. 

Once the market ended, we hopped in his van to head to his home in Clinton, which is about an hour and a half south of Dunedin.  On our way, we had some good conversation and were happy to hear him say that we would fit in great on the farm!  Once to Clinton, we settled into our house truck (like a campervan), became acquainted with the farm, and met the other WWOOFers there.  There was a girl from Brazil named Jamila, Miguel from Spain, Matilda from France, Ying from Malaysia (also an international student at Otago) and two girls from California who were traveling around the world for a year, but they left the next day (only mildly jealous of them)!  That night we hung out getting to know each other over dinner and snuggling up near the fire in the station (where all the WWOOFers hang out). 

Sunday was our first real day of work on the farm.  It was raining a good bit so we ended up working in the greenhouse all day, but that didn’t bother me.  It was mostly weeding around lettuce and chard.  After four hours of work, we made some lunch and hung out that afternoon.  That evening, Celine and I cooked dinner for everybody in the station.  On the weekends, the WWOOFers cook for themselves, but during the week, we all had dinner in Shaun’s house.  Monday pretty much consisted of the same routine with lots of weeding again.  Shaun cooked us potato and leek soup that evening with leeks that he picked that day! 

Tuesday brought a little more weeding around the pumpkins with Miguel and then a group effort clearing a large patch inside one of the greenhouses.  I attempted to study a little that afternoon, but ended up putting the books down for a cup of tea and great conversation!  Shaun made us a great spaghetti dish that night!  Wednesday we started harvesting for the market so in the morning Miguel, Ying, and I picked heaps of parsnips.  That afternoon, Celine, Matilda, and I worked in the garden and used a hoe to weed around baby carrot plants.  And the sandflies attacked.  I have so many bites on my arms and back it’s not even funny.  I remember at one point looking down at my clothes and seeing at least 20 sandflies all over me!  So itchy now!  Wednesday evening I also milked a cow for the first time ever!  Celine and I looked a little goofy in the field trying to round it up, but once she was in the milking area, Shaun showed us what to do.  It’s actually a lot harder than it looks.  But so cool at the same time!

 Thursday we picked purple sprouting broccoli as a group and then Ying and I sorted garlic for the market.  Thankfully garlic is a natural insect repellent so the sandflies avoided us and the inside of the cloves also provides instant itch relief!  That evening, Celine and I made artichoke and cauliflower soufflés.  I have never really eaten much artichoke, but I discovered that I absolutely love Jerusalem artichokes! 
 
 
And Friday, Celine and I picked lettuce and spinach in the morning and then worked in the packaging room for the rest of the day.  This day was definitely my favorite as I witnessed everything that went into preparing for the farmer’s market on Saturday.  Lots of washing, weighing, and packaging, but I honestly loved every second of it.  Shaun was an amazing host and I learned so much from him!  That afternoon, we all walked to “downtown” Clinton (it’s literally the epitome of a one horse town) for a bottle of wine to celebrate because everybody was leaving the next day.  That night Shaun whipped up his famous artichoke lasagna after much convincing/pleading from Celine and I.  That night we stayed up late chatting and hanging out with our wonderful new friends. 

 
The next morning, we said goodbye to the farm and Miguel, Celine, and I caught a bus back to Dunedin.  Last night, I went out with some friends (and even did a little swing dancing!) before cracking down to study today!  I have been in the library most of today…so lame, I know, but it needs to get done!  Missing my Starbucks pumpkin spiced lattes to help me study though.  And this blog was my study break, so I guess I need to get back to the books.  Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment