Sunday, September 30, 2012

Living Young, and Wild, and Free

Hello everyone!  I am sitting inside our “union” area with a coffee after just meeting with somebody to plan trips for my month after exams and figured I should write my blog for the past week.  I always have a hard time remembering what happened at the beginning of the previous week, but let’s see here.  Tuesday I went to class and it was a pretty normal day.  I cooked my Dad’s famous white bean chicken chili for dinner and it turned out great (but I guess not as good as yours Dad)!  That night some friends and I watched the season premieres of How I Met Your Mother and New Girl.  After the shows, Erin, Audrey, Rachel, Anna, and I went to the Bog for Open Mic Night.  One of the international girls was playing and she is absolutely amazing!  We hung out there for a while and somewhere in that time decided that we needed to create our own Red Card.  I had already participated in Sophie’s Red Card this semester, but I missed half of it and we decided we needed to have one of our own and go all out!  So we decided to make it last throughout the day and created a school girl theme.  Wednesday I only had one class because my other one got canceled this week, so that was nice to have more of my day free.  Wednesday night, Rachel and I planned our part of the Red Card.


Thursday was the big day!  It was the day of our Red Card and time to go all out!  Erin and I went on a run in the morning and then we changed into our school girl outfits for the day.  The rules of the Red Card included everybody dressing up like school girls and going to as many classes as possible.  I looked so crazy!  I mean, I was wearing my hair in pig tails and borrowed a tie from Nathan.  We had a point system, and we earned points for how many classes attended, number of questions answered, number of questions asked, number of high fives given, number of selfies taken in class, etc.  I attended my own two classes for the day and then also went to Rachel’s Pacific Studies class, where I learned about music in Fiji, and my flatmate Nathan’s recitation where I learned absolutely nothing about finance.  In Pacific studies I even answered a question and was asked to elaborate!  But I was right and I earned some points!  Erin and I went to Nathan’s class and we sat in the back of a class of about 12 people.  Nathan could barely keep a straight face to teach and we had no clue what he was talking about (it was advanced finance) so we just ended up writing down funny pick-up lines with the finance words he was saying!  After classes were finished for the day, we all met in a little courtyard in the university for “Orientation” where superlatives were awarded for a plethora of different categories.  I won most studious because I answered the most questions haha J  Then the official Red Card began with the whole group!  There were about 10 of us.

The first activity, planned by Erin and Audrey, was a scavenger hunt around the university and town.  And the things on the list were absolutely ridiculous.  In that hour, I ran up an escalator that was going down, proposed to a high school boy in the mall (I have no clue why he turned me down though), got wrapped up like a mummy in a bathroom, ate a double scoop of ice cream as a group (it’s huge), protested the killing of lambs, sang “Call Me Maybe” on the streets, went Christmas caroling, asked a high school couple about their future plans, joined a zumba class for like 3 minutes, had a thumb war with Campus Watch, asked random people where I could find a vegetarian meat pie, ran through campus screaming, and a million other crazy things that I can’t remember right now!  Never have I had so many crazy looks in my life!  But we never thought twice and I have probably not laughed that long in forever!  And my group won the scavenger hunt!!!  After that, we met back up at my flat, grabbed a quick dinner, and moved onto phase 2 : Trivia!  Anna made up questions that could have real answers, but the right answers were always something related to past events in NZ.  It was a good break from running around town, but once we finished, it was time for our final phase: Recess!  Rachel and I had planned this part and it turned out great!  By this time, it was dark outside so we went to the rugby field near our flats and completed different relay races.  We played leap frog, the game where you spin around ten times with a bat and then have to run back, wheel barrow (Scott dropped me and I face planted during this), and a race where we had to crawl through each other’s legs.  All doing this in skirts and in the dark!  Afterwards, we went back to Anna, Kelly, and Emma’s flat to relax for a couple hours before the last part of the Red Card: going to town that evening in our school girl outfits!  And yes, it did happen and it turned out to be a great, and certainly memorable, day and night!
 
 

Friday, I went to the grocery store with Erin ad Rachel to pick up supplies for that night.  With the weather looking absolutely wonderful (a rarity in Dunedin), we decided to take advantage of it and go camping Friday night at Long Beach.  We had one car, but the beach was only about a half hour away so we shuttled people back and forth and in the end, there was about 15-20 of us there!  I was in the first shuttle, so once there we walked the 20 minute walk to the caves at the end of the beach that we were planning on sleeping in.  They were huge!  And the perfect place to camp!  We didn’t even need tents, which was a good thing since we didn’t bring any.  While waiting on the other groups, we hung out on the beach for a while, collected some firewood in the nearby woods, and started the fire.  Once everybody got there, we had the fire going strong and it was time for dinner.  We had brought sausages (they don’t have hotdogs here) to roast over the fire so we stuck then on some sticks and had a great dinner!  We also brought supplies that resembled s’mores.  NZ does not have normal marshmallows or gram crackers though, so we ended up using oddly shaped marshmallows and malt ginger thin cookies.  But we were determined to have them because our German friend, Marvin, had never tasted one before.  However, even with the major substitutions, he still loved it and they were a success!  Afterwards, we just hung around the fire joking around, singing along to a couple ukuleles, and telling stories. 
 
 
 
Once part of the group went to bed around midnight, Erin, Marvin, Rachel, Emma, and I went down to the ocean to hang out and ended up joining a group of Kiwis, who were also camping there, for the next couple hours.  They also had a guitar and loved to sing so we sang along with them too around their fire.  We eventually went to bed, but not for long because we (Rachel, Erin, Marvin, and I) were up before 6am to watch the sunrise.  We were definitely living by the philosophy that you can sleep when you’re dead!  So even though it was a little cloudy, it was still nice to get up and see the sun reflect off the clouds!  And by that time, we just decided not to go back to bed.  So we took a long walk to the end of the beach and climbed around on some rocks.  It warmed up pretty nicely through so once everybody was up, we just hung out on the beach in the sand (still too cold to swim this far south on the island).  Eventually, we decided it was time to go so we began the shuttles back.  Once back in Dunedin, I took a shower and then a much needed two hour nap.  Afterwards, I went over to Erin and Rachel’s flat and we purchased flight tickets for our travels after exams.  I will let my travels be a surprise, but really there are only a couple guesses J 

Sunday morning, I woke up early to meet Colleen (Rachel’s kiwi host), my flatmate Margaux, Rachel, and Malika to make a journey to Middle Earth and Rohan!  For those of you who don’t know, they are places in Lord of the Rings.  It was a two hour drive, but luckily Colleen had a car so no renting this time!  I am obviously not a huge Lord of the Rings fan considering I had not even seen the first movie until about a month or so ago, but it was still a great trip!  We went to the area where many of the scenes from the second movie were filmed.  We had great weather and the landscape was beautiful.  It was a very rocky area so we did lots of climbing over rocks and even recreated the movie in a set of mini video of us J  So I am excited to watch the second movie soon!
 
 
 
And now I am finished my coffee and want to go enjoy the sunny day outside!  Have a great week everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment