Monday, September 24, 2012

Icy a Glacier...Sweet As!

(Pun Translation:  I see a glacier)

Last week was filled with some silliness in our flat!  There is this kind of strange, but cute at the same time, painting of a fox that was hanging in our flat at the beginning of the semester.  But a couple months ago, Bob stole it and hung it up in his flat.  So last week, Sophie and I decided it was time to plan a rescue mission.  I mean, the fox just looked so sad in Bob’s flat!  So Monday night, while Bob was cooking dinner in our flat, we snuck out and snatched the painting and returned it to its rightful place.  And being our crazy selves, we acted like ninjas in the dark jumping around and hiding behind corners (obviously there was nobody near us), even tossing the painting to one another to avoid “attacks.”  Thankfully, the fox is now safe with us again J  That night I watched a movie with some mates and worked on a little homework.

Tuesday I went to class and hung out with some friends.  That night I cooked some baked ziti for my flat and fun fact: NZ does not actually have ziti noodles in the store and nobody knew what I was talking about.  Thankfully, they all enjoyed my “foreign” dish!  That night we watched a couple episodes of Game of Thrones as a flat.  Sophie has been begging me to watch this show, and at first I was a little weary because it looked like something out of a video game, but it’s actually quite good!

Wednesday I came down with a little cold so I stayed in most of the day chugging orange juice, tea, and taking as much vitamin C as possible because I didn’t want to be sick for my weekend trip!  I think it worked because I felt better the next day!

And then Thursday rolled around!  Erin and I woke up early and went to the grocery store to get some food for the road and then I headed to my last tutorial for my geography class.  It’s so crazy that I only have three more weeks left of school!  Did I not just get here?  Anyway, after class, Erin and I took her Kiwi host’s car to go pick up our rental car for the weekend.  The only rental company that rents to 18 year olds is at the airport, which is a 20 minute drive from our flat, but it’s worth it to have a car obviously (NZ public transport is okay, but only to larger cities).  So I drove our car back into town, we picked up the rest of the gang (Emma, Katie, and Anna), and hit the road.  It was a good 6 hour drive to Fox Glacier, but it went by super-fast jamming out to music, talking, and being silly.  While Erin was driving, she hit a bird, which in itself is pretty bad.  But later on, she earned the nickname animal killer when she also killed a possum in the road.  And for some reason, both times she hit the animals; I started laughing, so of course I earned the nickname morbid laugher.  We were quite the pair!

But we finally made it to the small town we were staying at, and the Fox Glacier tourist attraction is probably the only reason the town even exists!  Our backpackers was super cute and rustic and when we checked in around 8pm, the owner said he was taking a few people to go see some glow worms down the road and invited us to come.  Even though we were starving, we decided to go.  So the 5 of us plus three guys who worked there led us to a path a few minutes from the backpackers.  At this point, he told us to turn off all lights, grab the person in front of you, and walk.  The problem:  it was pitch black and we couldn’t see anything.  There were even bridges on the path that had no railings.  At one point, I think we all realized just how trusting we were of these complete strangers luring us into the woods with the opportunity to see glow worms.  I mean, they say beware of people with candy in the US, but maybe it’s glow worms in NZ.  Anyway, with a little freaking out in the dark and trying to walk in a line, we finally made it to the hundreds of glow worms hanging out on the bottom of a fallen tree.  The guys were actually very knowledgeable about them and I learned that it’s their poop that makes them glow…for some reason that made them less attractive!  I was very appreciative of him to show them to us since it was my first time seeing them!  Afterwards, we grabbed some food in town at the only place that was open and then went to bed pretty quickly.

 
 
The next morning, we woke up early to walk down the road (like 30 seconds) to the Fox Glacier Tour meeting place.  We had booked the full day Nimble Fox glacier tramp and it was totally worth it!  I am usually not a huge fan of tours and would rather do things on my own, but this was a tour that provided both instruction and freedom, which was really cool and unique.  The company provided us with boots, crampons (the spikes on the boots that dig into the ice), and rain gear.  Our tour guide was a Kiwi named Sam who was just a couple year older than us.  It didn’t hurt that he was pretty good looking as well J And he was awesome for putting up with 5 ridiculously silly girls who pushed all the boundaries of what we could do!  The tour started out with a ten minute bus ride to what used to be the bottom of the glacier, but is now just forest.  The glacier actually recedes up to 3 meters a day, so it is always changing and in my lifetime will probably disappear.  Glad I came when I did!  Anyway, the first part of the tour was an hour hike up 700 stairs from the car park to the present start of the glacier.  It was a lot of uphill, but provided some beautiful views of the glacier. 

 
 

Once to the ice, we strapped on our crampons and away we went.  Sam took us through crevices, caves, and tunnels up into the glacier.  It was sweet as (a kiwi phrase meaning sweet or awesome)!  He even let us carry his pick ax and take pictures with it.  And although weary every time we decided to wander off from the rest of the group for a picture or just to explore, he was willing to give us some freedom!  And except for a little rain around lunchtime, we had great weather and even saw the very rare NZ blue sky for part of the day!  When we were on our way back down from the glacier, we decided it was beer o’clock and opened our few beers that we had packed and drank them on the glacier.  I mean seriously, when am I ever going to drink beer on a glacier again?  Sam and the two couples that were with us in our group loved it!  We really lucked up with an excellent tour guide and group.  Once off the glacier, we took the shortcut back to the car park and passed by a glacial pool.  Sam told us that he had only had 4 people in one group to jump in it in one day.  Well there were five of us, and we took that statement as a challenge!  So we took off our boots and jumped it.  Burr…it was freezing, but so fun at the same time!  We quickly hopped onto the warm bus and headed back to town.
 


However, on the bus ride we heard that the road back to Wanaka (where we were headed that night) closed at 7pm due to a rockslide.  I remembered passing the rockslide because it covered most of the road and was pretty bad, but I never saw a sign that said it was closed.  Well at this point it was about 5pm and they said it would take about 2 hours to get past the slide.  So once the bus parked, we flew out of it, exchanged our boots for our normal shoes, received our certificates saying we survived the glacial hike, thanked Sam, changed half of our clothes in the parking lot and away we went.  Some of us were even half wet still.  But we headed out of town not even checking the gas level.  And we remembered literally nothing in between Wanaka and Fox Glacier.  So when Erin noticed the gas light come on, we were hoping we would somehow make it.  But we were still 2 hours outside of Wanaka and we had not even hit the rock slide yet and it was already past 7 and I was beginning to think that even if we did make it through the road, we were going to be spending the night in the car without any gas.  Then out of nowhere, a gas station/accommodation/café appears on the side of the road.  So we whip in there and even through the gas station is closed, Anna runs inside to beg for gas.  But while doing so, we talk to a guy that had just been turned around from the road block so we figured we were stuck there for the night.  So we grabbed some dinner and I called the backpackers in Wanaka to make sure that they would refund us.  Thankfully, we only had to pay the 10% booking fee!  So we ended up staying at this really cute place and going to bed not having a clue where we were.  A little stressful, but it all worked out!  We woke up the next morning to a beautiful little cottage area surrounded by snow covered mountains and figured out we were in a small “town” (as in a school and this café) known as Makarora.  Once we ate a little breakfast we had packed and grabbed some petrol, we hit the road again.  And thank goodness that place was there, not only because we were sure we would have run out of gas before Wanaka, but also because we were able to see the beautiful scenery of Lake Hawea that we would never have seen in the dark!  The sun was shining, we had our shades on, and we were happy J 


We stopped in Wanaka to grab some coffee and sit by the lake for a little while.  I have been/passed though Wanaka three times, but this was the only time I had seen the town and lake when it was not raining.  And it was just so perfect of a day!  The rest of the drive back was great and Erin and I took the car back Saturday evening.  That night, some friends came over to my place and then we went to town! 

In town, we met up with some people, one of them being Michael, who happened to have corporate tickets from where he works (graduated from uni last year) to the Otago vs. Tasman rugby game and so Erin and I went to the game with him and some of his friends.  It was such a nice day and it was fun experiencing more Kiwi culture through sports!  After the game, the guys dropped us back off at my place and Erin and I experimented with making potato and leek soup.  It turned out pretty tasty!

And today I went to my last tutorial for my religion class, cleaned my room, and worked on some homework.  And then after dinner Werner, Erin, Rachel, Liam and I watched the movie “Taken” and now I am sitting in my bed well past midnight writing this blog!  But I probably should get some sleep.  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment