Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Only Different, Not Wrong


So as I have begun exploring and diving into New Zealand culture these past few days, I find myself and other international friends saying phrases like, “That’s wrong” or “It’s not supposed to be that way.”  New Zealanders drive on the left side of the road, the driver’s seat is on the right side of the car, the grocery store is set up in new ways with different kinds of meat, flats lack central heating, and the exact same foods seem to taste different.  These are just a few of the differences that I have encountered as I try to embrace the new changes and immerse myself into the culture, rather than singling out the differences.   Opening my mind to new things is a huge part of this experience and that means understanding there are differences, but nobody is wrong.  That was just something I have been thinking about these last few days, but now onto my recent adventures!

Since my last post, I have officially met all of my flatmates.  And there are actually 3 Kiwi hosts: Sophie, Kiri, and Nathan.  Nathan actually just got back from a year at UNC so we have had lots to talk about and found common ground in our hatred of DOOK! And there is another new guy named Liam from Massachusetts.  But I truly believe that I have the best flatmates ever! We are all different, but a great new family here in NZ!

On Wednesday we officially started our orientation, which basically consisted of lots of people talking about the university and was a little boring, but afterwards, we continued our exploration of town and the botanical gardens and did some needed shopping.  And then we had a small 4th of July celebration at a friend’s flat!

The next day, I signed up for classes and completed course approval.  Signing up for classes is very different here.  I’m used to everything being online and knowing beforehand what time classes begin to pre-arrange your schedule, but here, everything is all in person with pen and paper.  So basically I had to walk to different department and advisers taking a total of 2 hours.  But it was nice to talk to the Kiwis and they were all interested in where I was from.  However, even once I completed the initial approval, I didn’t officially know if the timetable worked until the next day.  But thankfully it did and I am registered for 3 classes: Urban Geography, Intro to Visual Culture, and God and Ethics in the Modern World.  I think they should all be pretty interesting! 

After course approval, Sophie drove me to the top of Signal hill where you can look down on the ocean, the peninsula, and the city! It was beautiful!  We watched the sun set from there and it was awesome! Then on Friday we took a train ride through the Taieri River Gorge which was lots of fun meeting people on the train and seeing the mountains!  And there was a barbeque for the international students afterwards. 

And finally this weekend, which has been lots of fun! We went to the farmer’s market on Saturday and I tried lots of delicious jams and produce.  And my breakfast there was a chocolate delight crepe! Apparently they are the best things there…and I agree! After that, some friends and I walked up the steepest street in the world, Baldwin Street, nestled right inside of Dunedin.  And man, it was steep! And today, we took a bus to St. Clair’s beach and hiked a short, but steep path (with a semi-vertical rock slab to climb) around the coast! It was the best view yet!

And now my flat is headed out to grab a movie and have a good night snuggling on the warm couch (probably with our hot water bottles that we sleep with at night…my new best friend!).  Classes start tomorrow! It won’t feel like vacation for much longer!







No comments:

Post a Comment