Monday, July 2, 2012

Beauty

I’m finally here in NEW ZEALAND!!!!   I arrived here about mid-morning yesterday after an interesting morning in the Auckland airport.  Our flight from San Francisco was delayed due to fog, which ended up putting us in Auckland about a half hour before our plane to Dunedin left.  So we rushed off the plane into customs and picked up our luggage to personally transfer it to the next flight in compliance with customs policy.  Unfortunately that took longer than expected, but once we had all of our pieces, we scurried over to the counter to check them back in.  However, we were too late to check luggage at the normal counter and were directed to take them over to the domestic airport, a good ten minute walk at best.  At this point our flight was leaving in 7 minutes.  So we grabbed our luggage and realizing we missed the shuttle to the other part of the airport, we started to run.  Now, imagine me trying to run with 2 50-pound old school suitcases (the kind with only 2 wheels), my purse, and a giant backpack.  Luckily it was cold outside, because we all worked up a sweat!  It was a mess! But we did make some friends on our run who were also headed to the University of Otago! Once we got to the other airport, we realized we had to check in again because our tickets lacked a gate number and I was sure we had missed the flight.  But thankfully this flight had been delayed due to fog as well and we were able to board just in time!


The final flight was almost surreal.  I have seen pictures and heard how beautiful the country is, but flying over the mountains covered in snow was amazing and I knew that I had chosen the perfect country to study abroad in! We landed with a light snow falling, the sun shining, and excitement that could barely be contained.  The country landscape was everything I imagined and more!  I cannot wait for all the adventures that are already in the early stages of planning!  After taking a taxi to my flat, I was welcomed by Margaux, one of my flatmates from France and later met Sophie, my Kiwi host.  They are amazing and super sweet!  I unpacked while jumping around and putting on as many layers as possible.  I don’t mind the winter weather, but inside the flat is just about as cold as outside because there is no central heating!  Definitely a change from the US.  I also walked around town and the university and then went downtown last night to celebrate my arrival! I already love it here and can’t wait to continue exploring town today with some friends from the airport!   





                                                                                                         

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are having an adventure so far! love you!

    ReplyDelete