Sunday, July 1, 2012

I Can't Believe this is Happening

Well, that phrase has been spoken more times than I can even remember in the last couple of days.  But seriously, part of me still can’t even wrap my mind around the fact that I just left North Carolina to go live in New Zealand for six months!!!  My study abroad trip that I have dreamed about probably since I first understood what study abroad even meant is finally here and I could not be more excited!!!   I left Charlotte this morning with butterflies in my stomach, a smile on my face, two great friends by my side, and a heart open and ready for new experiences and adventures.  So let those adventures begin!

For those of you who do not know all the details of my trip, I will be living in Dunedin (on the south island), literally on the other side of the world.  I will be living in an international flat with other students from around the world.  I also have 2 kiwi hosts in the flat to show me the ropes.  As far as classes go, I plan to take 3 general education courses, but I will not officially sign up until I am there.  The weather is also going to be a huge change, as it is the middle of winter there with temperatures around 30 degrees.  Luckily I don’t mind cold weather (the product of being raised in the mountains).  With that said, you could say I had some difficulty packing and ended up with 2 suitcases both weighing 52 pounds (the lady who checked me in was super nice and ignored my extra 4 pounds) and a giant backpack.  I’m sure I over-packed, but it’s six months!

So after a great last night in America with my family, I said goodbye this morning and landed in San Francisco earlier this morning (I had an extra-long morning with the time change).  After we arrived, Erin, Rachel, and I went out into the city to do some exploring during out 12 hour layover.  We took the train downtown, walked around, ate lunch, and then took a bus ride to the Golden Gate Bridge.  The bridge was spectacular, and I only saw portions of it at one time because it was super foggy!  After taking a very windy stroll across the bridge, we hopped on the bus to head back to the airport, but of course, we already had our first mishap and took the wrong bus.  But the driver was super nice and helpful and set us on the right path after riding that bus to its last stop.  We also met some really nice people who had been to New Zealand on pretty much every train or bus we took! Small world!  So now we are sitting in the airport terminal and getting ready to board our flight.  Next stop: New Zealand!!!  I still can’t believe this is happening J Love you all! 

(sorry this post is late, I wrote it earlier and then had some technical difficulties)

No comments:

Post a Comment