Monday, July 30, 2012

How in the world do you cook pumpkin?


This past week has been pretty standard with class and homework and lots of just hanging out with friends.  I have started to become really close to a few people and I love the relationships that I am forming here!  One of these awesome friends named Audrey loves baking and NZ eats lot of pumpkin.  So we decided to combine the two and create some yummy pumpkin cookies.  Now before I arrived here, pumpkins were only good for jack-o-lanterns, roasting the seeds, and the occasional pre-packaged pumpkin pie.  But pumpkin is huge here!  So we bought a fourth of a pumpkin at the farmer’s market and decided to go for it.  Of course, we had to do a little preliminary internet research since we didn’t know how to get a physical pumpkin into any form to put in cookies, but they turned out delicious and were super easy to make so I’m sure they will be popping out of our ovens quite frequently!  That was probably a little boring, but we have all been raving about them all week. 

We also had our complex flat dinner this past week so that was nice to socialize and it was my night to cook so I lucked out with a free meal from uniflats.  Thursday night we went to town for the night with a big group and afterwards I had a warm snuggling session with Erin, complimented by chai tea and NZ cookies at 3:30am.  Friday was a relaxing day and I went to bed early because Saturday we decided to get up and watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics live at 8am.  Getting up was difficult, but I’m glad I watched them live and it was so exciting to cheer for 2 teams in the country parade!  Afterwards, Anna, Kelly, Erin, Emma, Rachel, and I hiked Mt. Cargill, part of the extinct shield volcano right outside of Dunedin.  It was a steep hike up, taking a little less than 2 hours, but totally worth it! Nerdy Warning: As a biology major, I was also excited to watch the vegetation change from giant and almost majestic looking trees to shrubbery and fern growth near the top.  Erin and I also climbed a few trees on the hike up and we even found a nature-made swing (I did wake up with bruises on my hips from it though).  Once we reached the summit, the 360 degree panoramic view left us all speechless.  It was a perfectly clear day and the view of the Otago peninsula, the harbor, and the endless mountains that span the country was amazing.  Sorry, I am literally running out of words to describe this country.  Coming down was a little muddy and rough on the knees, but we all made it back into town super happy.  That night we watched the Olympics and went into town with some of Erin and Rachel’s flatmates.  And on Sunday I attempted to do some work, but I was so exhausted from the weekend, that most of it waited until today. 



So now I am just hanging out at the flat, watching the Olympics with the flatmates.  Unfortunately, the time difference is not the most convenient from England, meaning we get the random events at prime time here (we are watching the horse events now).  But it’s still fun nonetheless! Go New Zealand and America J

No comments:

Post a Comment