Thursday, August 23, 2012

We're Lost in New Zealand...YONZO!

So the beginning of last week was not too exciting.  It rained buckets, literally, and I practically ran out of shoe options because I don’t have any waterproof shoes here besides my hiking boots, which I really don’t want to wear to class.  And even if I had brought my gumboots (rain boots), nobody wears them here and Kiwis generally think they are weird and should only be worn on the farm.  But they are so practical and super cute!  If only they could see Chapel Hill on a rainy day J  Some students even got a little crazy and surfed the raging Leith River that runs through campus.  They got in trouble, but they made the 6 o’clock news and the paper!  I also had a small fight with my cheap $5 umbrella from Kmart.  Unfortunately I have to declare it the winner considering it literally collapsed on my head! So basically I was in a constant state of wetness until about Thursday. 

Anyway, in other news, I finally got to meet my mentor! Yes, a little late into the semester, but I had forgotten to sign up for the program and then I heard that you could still join, so I did!  Her name is Emily and we got coffee last Monday night! She is awesome and we have a lot in common! And fun fact: she was wearing gum boots when I met her! The only Kiwi that day wearing them.  That night Werner, who is an RA at unicol (a residence hall), invited me to eat dinner with him there since RAs are allowed one guest per week.  The “dining hall” was much smaller than the ones in Chapel Hill and there were only 2 options for dinner.  Much different, but probably much healthier!

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty normal I think.  I’m having trouble remembering everything though!  Thursday I went to a hats and wigs party at another international flat.  The only way you could enter was if you were wearing a hat or wig, so Erin, Rachel, and I made paper hats for the party.  On the front of the hats we wrote YONZO, which is a spinoff of YOLO (You only live once).  YONZO stands for You’re Only in New Zealand once!  Which I hope is not true, because I would love to return, but it justifies everything that we do!  Friday was a little crazy trying to get some work done and planning the last minute weekend trip.  We decided to head to Silver Peaks, just 30 minutes outside of Dunedin, for a weekend of tramping and backpacking.

So we woke up super early Saturday and Erin baked French toast before we met up with the rest of the crew! All together it was me, Laura, Jordan, Erin, Rachel, and Marvin.  We hitched a ride with a couple of Kiwi hosts and made it to the car park around 9am.  But we had decided to do the trail backwards so that the longer portion would be completed Saturday rather than Sunday so we had to walk down the road a couple miles.  Well, we walked more than a couple because we missed the trail that we were supposed to take because it was marked with a different name at the end of it.  So we overshot our starting point by about an hour and realized once we were out in the middle of nowhere on a random dirt road with no sign of civilization that maybe we were lost.  So we stopped to regroup and plan right as a truck comes around the corner.  Good timing right?  We asked him for directions and after a little orienting; he told us we were headed in the right direction.  So we kept walking until about 10 minutes later when we see his truck headed back towards us.  We knew then that we were way off.  But it was nice of him to come back and tell us to turn around after he realized he had told us wrong.  So by noon, we made it to the trailhead, had a snack, and officially started.  But within the first ten minutes there was a river crossing up to our knees without any way of rock hopping.  So we decided to be brave the cold water and take off our shoes and socks to walk through it.  Now remember, it is the middle of winter here!  And my feet were so cold after waking though the river! But it was better than hiking in soaked boots for the next 5 hours! 
 After that it was straight uphill for a while and there were tons of prickly plants growing over the path.  Even in my leggings, my legs were pretty cut up.  We complained about it, but in the end it really didn’t bother me as we walked on the ridge with a full 360 degree view of the mountains.  Lunch was a quick stop as we were a little worried about the sun setting before we made it to the hut since we lost so much time at the beginning.  But we did take the time to check out the ABC cave along the trail.  It actually had a platform you could sleep on, but probably not the smartest thing to do in the winter.  We finally made it to the hut a little past 5pm after a final river crossing (this time with rocks, but I still got a little wet).  But I was proud of myself for not actually falling in this time!  Once at the hut, I started dinner for us because we were all starving!  So I cooked up heaps of pasta and we ate in a couple shifts.  Laura even carried cooked mince for us to add to the meal that disappeared within seconds of being made. 
Afterwards we hung out and played some cards.  Then another group of 5 arrived at the hut and since the hut only holds 10, it was looking to be a cozy night.  So we talked with them for a while and one of the girls had just returned from a trip to UNC for a week for some sort of workshop.  Yay small world!  Later that evening, Laura had gone out to the bathroom but got spooked as she heard noises and saw a flashlight coming out from the woods in the opposite direction of the trail.  I was not concerned and we all gave her a hard time for being scared until ten minutes later we hear somebody step up onto the porch.  None of us wanted to go see who it was so we waited a few minutes and then in walked this guy carrying a giant rifle.  I think at that moment all of us froze and didn’t really know what to say.  After the initial shock, I realized he was probably a hunter because we were only in a conservation area and not a national park.  But boy was that a way to scare some people when you walk in.  Turns out he was a super nice guy and let some of us use his night vision goggles and shared his cookies with us.  After hanging out for a while longer, we headed to bed with tons of layers on thinking we would freeze, but woke up with a huge pile of all of our clothes that we had pulled off throughout the night.  I guess the cabin got a little cozy with 12 people. 

The next morning we slept in a little bit and then got up to eat breakfast and hit the trail.  The hunter also headed out with us and since he was just heading back to his car for the day, we actually ended up walking with him the whole way.  The first part of the day was the hardest as it was straight up “Devil’s Staircase,” where at parts I was literally on all fours climbing.  That lasted about an hour and a half, but after that, the last 6 kilometers were smooth sailing besides a little mud.  Unfortunately the fog rolled in pretty quickly which limited the views and made for a pretty windy walk on the ridge.  We also had an issue with the ride back as Erin and Rachel’s ride couldn’t pick them up until 5pm and we were done by 2pm.  So the hunter volunteered to take then back to Otago (and we sent Jordan with them just to be safe).  But the hike was a lot of fun and I loved all of the silly times on the trail that I had with some close friends!  And our new friend J After we got back last night, we went to The Cook for $2 burgers and I collapsed in my bed pretty early.

As for the upcoming week, I have a busy schedule, but I am looking forward to Spring Break (guess I get 2 of those this year) starting this Friday! You guys can hear about it in a couple of weeks J Hope everybody is great!  Missing all of you at Chapel Hill moving in right now, but I’m sure you are having a wonderful time and I can’t wait to skype and see your rooms and everything! Have a great week!     

No comments:

Post a Comment