Thursday, December 6, 2012

You know, I know...This is Forever!

So instead of flying back to Dunedin from Melbourne, I made a slight detour up to Auckland on the north island for a day!  I was meeting Marvin, Wynton, and Erin, but unfortunately I flew through the night and arrived in the city just a little past five in the morning and because of the time change, I only had a three hour night…yikes!  Exhausted, I walked up the information counter to figure out how to get to my hostel.  Once I figured out which bus to take, I hopped on and ran into a guy that I had met in the Melbourne airport.  He was on the same flight as me, in the same row only one seat away on the plane, on the same bus, in the same hostel, and even in the same room.  This seems to keep happening to me!  But anyway, it was too early to check into my hostel, so we both went up to the lounge and slept there. 

Once Erin arrived, we grabbed some lunch and then met up with Marvin and Wynton.  Anna, Kelly, and Emma showed up as well, which I was not expecting, but a great surprise!  Anyway, we hung out in the city that afternoon, took another nap J and then got ready for the SIX60 concert!!!!

 
 
I’m sure most, if not all, have probably never heard of this band before and I hadn’t until I arrived here!  But they are from Dunedin and started out as just a few Otago students who loved to play music together…and now they are on a world tour!  The name SIX60 comes from where they lived when they went to uni here.  Their flat number was 660 on Castle Street, which is directly across the road from me!!!  So Erin and I started listening to their music and loved it so we decided to go to their concert.  And it was absolutely worth it!  We had so much fun!  Marvin, Wynton, Erin (would not have wanted to go to the concert with anyone else but these guys!), and I sat together.  The rest of the crew spontaneously decided to go just a couple days before and were only able to get individual seats.  The band was amazing and seeing them live and talking about Dunedin was so cool!  I don’t think we have ever screamed so loud when they asked if anybody in the crowd is from Dunedin.  All of their songs have a really special meaning to us, or at least we apply that meaning to our study abroad experience, which made it even more special.  The title of this blog is from their song “This is Forever” which is definitely what we are living by as we all say goodbye to each other.  But my favorite song is “Don’t Forget Your Roots,” which talks about how you shouldn’t forget where you came from and who helped you along the way when you go out into the world.  It’s so good and if anybody wants to see images and videos of where I live, look the music video up on youtube! 

After the concert, Erin and I pushed out way through the crowd to get their autographs and we even told them we live in Castle Street!  Then we all headed into town that night and since none of us were too tired because of all the napping, we ended up staying up until 5am!

Erin and I caught our flight back home to Dunedin the next morning and then started to pack and organize for our next and final road trip!    

No comments:

Post a Comment